Jon’s Background and Experience
Jon Neiderbach offers Iowans a unique combination of experience, knowledge, and new ideas. He’s had an inside view of what works and what fails in Iowa government, as well as the awful front-line impact of budget cuts, inadequate services, bad management, and dangerous privatization. He has a long history of political activism and leadership, and is never afraid to ask tough questions and support innovative ideas. Jon understands that our economic, political, and legal systems have been rigged against working families, and he offers many “common sense radical” ideas to fix this and move Iowa forward.
The specifics of Jon’s career include.
- Fourteen years experience with the nonpartisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau, providing objective research and analysis to both Democrats and Republicans for budget and policy decisions
- Fifteen years experience with the Iowa Department of Human Services, working with technology and administration including improving Child Support services and collections providing better services to individuals owing money to the state due to overpayments
- Former member and President of the Des Moines School Board, where he fought for budget priorities that put teachers and educational services ahead of administrators and bureaucracy.
- Former Board member of Polk-Des Moines Taxpayers, where he reviewed local finances to ensure good budgeting and spending practices.
- Former Board member of Proteus, an organization that provides medical and training services to migrant workers.
- Former Treasurer of the Iowa PTA.
- Grinnell College (BA ’78), University of Oregon School of Law (JD ’81)